Monday, September 9, 2013

First Letter From Florida


I have no time to write - I'm so sorry, so this one's going to be short. I'm in Keystone Heights, Florida. Population about 100 , there are a million lakes, and I'm sure even more gators. Florida is definitely different. The people are amazing, redneck and crazy, but amazing. Keep writing me! My address is:
7486 Lakeview St.
Keystone Heights, FL
32656
Google earth it. I dare ya. There are a set of elders in our ward that cover Starke, our ward covers like 50 miles. It's huge, a lot of driving! Lots of bugs, my legs are completely covered in bites. We don't even have a walmart here, so I'm pretty much living in the dark. Everyone has Confederate flags in their front yards, which scares me to death, but so far it's been good! The MTC ain't nothing like Florida, that's for sure. We've been teaching a lot of less active families, almost 60% of the ward is less active. We have two baptismal dates coming up, which I'm so stoked about! I love being here and getting to know all these amazing people! The Spirit is just so strong here, it's amazing to see this work in action. There's absolutely nothing better than sitting on a porch teaching an investigator  under the huge Southern stars and having frogs croak in the background and just feelin the spirit. I'm convinced there's absolutely nothing better.
JAX is gorgeous, I spent the first night with two sister missionaries in the area and they toured us around - most of the areas used to be plantations, so all the roads were built around these huge trees that are hundreds of years old and hang down over the street. Watch the Last Song, most of the houses are like Liam Hemsworth's house in that movie. Long driveways, huge mansions, GORGEOUS, I wanted to cry driving down there. But Keystone on the other hand, is completely different. The trees are gorgeous and hang over the streets and are covered in Spanish moss, which is just breathtaking, but everything else is dirt and trailers. Watch Honey Boo Boo more, just to get a feel for my life right now and watch Princess and the Frog, just to get a feel of what kind of people I've been teaching.  It's great. 
So this whole missionary work thing... it's hard. It's dang hard. Everyone always says it's hard, but they say it in a happy voice. This is H.A.R.D. There are some days that the only thing that keeps me going is knowing that there's a prayer being said for me every 45 min in Rexburg. I've been sick the past few days too, thanks Satan. Yesterday was the hardest day for me ever and that was even more awful because the temple's closed on Sunday, so I didn't even have that hope going for me. Our bishop gives all the new missionaries blessings when they come in and he gave the new elder this generic, "find people" and the "Lord will bless you" type of blessing, but for mine, he said all this amazing stuff that he had no idea about. No doubt the Spirit. That gave me a lot of strength and hope!
I don't have a lot of time, but I even brought my camera and cord to send you pictures from the MTC, but they somehow disappeared from my bag once I got here. Thanks Satan. Idiot. So you'll get your so desired map pictures and pictures in front of the Provo temple hopefully next week.
Love you!
Sister Carr


No comments:

Post a Comment